Sunday, January 17, 2010

Week One in Review

I’m trying to make this at least a weekly update. If I have time I will get to it a little more often. I can’t believe that a week has already gone by since I left Baltimore. So here is a recap of the past week for everyone.

On Wednesday I felt great—just a little tired but otherwise good. On Thursday morning I woke up early throwing up. That continued through the day, until they took me to the doctor. I had some sort of gastro-intestinitis thing going on. So the doctor gave me a shot and some medicine and I started feeling better by that night. Praise God it didn’t get worse and the doctor is a local that the Arthur’s have known for years—since they were missionaries here, and he didn’t charge anything for seeing him.

By Friday, I was feeling better and able to eat a little and get some fluids down. We had our second day of orientation. (The first I missed because I was sick). Our first assignment was to go into town and take fifteen pictures holding the camera at our waist or in front of us without focusing it or looking through the lens. It was a fun project. We drove the van into town and spent about thirty minutes walking around taking random pictures.

When we arrived back in the classroom, we loaded our pictures onto the computer and talked about what we had captured and learned. I put some of the pictures I took on facebook, here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=372030&id=833070175&l=009baa33ac Later on Friday we went to the mall and to see the movie “Invictus,” it was an excellent movie about Nelson Mandela and the Rugby World Cup and the uniting of South Africa. The people here say that it is a very accurate portrayal of what occurred in South Africa after Mandela became president. That was about all that happened on Friday. On Saturday we went to the mall for a few hours, and then came back to relax a little.

On Sunday we went to Heritage PH Church. It was a lot like churches in the US. Brother Joe Arthur, one of the leaders here with us spoke and shared some more missionary stories. I have enjoyed listening to all the missionary stories so far and I know that there will be a lot more over the next several weeks. After church we went to the Turner’s home for a brai (I have no idea how to spell that, basically it was a cookout). Ha ha, how many times have I been to a cookout in January! We had some good food there and enjoyed getting to know everyone and some more missionaries.

That has been the past week in review. Today we started our first day of classes with Dr. Dalton. It was a pretty easy day; we talked about cultures, and missions and the books we are reading. Then we got some more information on our field assignments. I’m excited about traveling around here in South Africa and then in February I will be going to Bangladesh for four weeks.

I’m going to try and update this a little more often if I have time to. It’s a lot more communication that I have ever had before when I left the country. Oh, I finished reading Francis Chan’s Forgotten God the other day, a great book about how we (Christians) have forgotten about the Holy Spirit. I recommend it, you may already know a lot of what he says, but it is a good reminder at least it was for me.

That’s all for now—Chrystal

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chrystal,
    I finally figured out how to sign up as a follower. All on my own, I hope I did it the right way. We shall see. Hey, did you get me any pics yet?
    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Africa 2010

Beyond the Borders 2010

Beyond the Borders...soon I will be leaving for Johannesburg, South Africa to begin my internship. From January 12th thru April 25th I will be gaining cross-cultural and social skills needed to be a missionary.

For almost four months I will be living in atleast two different cultures--very different from here in the United States. I will be in J-Burg for five weeks, from there I will travel to Bangladesh to work with missionaries for four more weeks. Then it's back to J-Burg and some other surrounding areas for additional ministry and cultural experiences.

For about fifteen weeks I'll be experiencing: ministry among Hindus in Durbin, South Africa; traditional African culture in Zululand; visiting an AIDS clinic; living the missionary lifestyle in Bangladesh for four weeks; minstry in the nation of Mozambique; and Yes! a real African Safari tour.

I am excited about this opportunity to go to South Africa and Bangladesh to participate in this program and gain some practical skills and training for becoming a missionary. While I do not know that I will be a full-time missionary in the future, I do know that the spiritual training and challenge of living cross-culturally for several months will continue to deepen my relationship with God, as I continue to seek His will for my life.

I'll be posting updates over the next few weeks as I prepare to leave for South Africa, and then when I arrive I will be posting pictures and sharing my experiences on here.